Friday, February 25, 2011

The White House not keeping their word, what?

This editorial that I found in the New York times caught my attention because it had the title of The Food Crisis written Febuarary 24, 2011, and I love food so i got intrigued. The author first started describing how the prices of food have gone up and other countries aren't able to afford higher prices on food, and that the G-20, a group of finance ministers and central bank governors, promised that they would give $22 billion over the next three years to countries that are in need to boost food production. But to this date the world bank who was supposed to get that money has only received less that $400 million. This may seem like a lot, and it is, but when you promise something else its just not the same. The Obama administration saw that the G-20 was helping out other countries, and decided to join in promising $3.5 billion to the world bank but so far they have only given $66.6 million. Now from where I grew up people always told me "your only as good as your word", and when I found out our own government hasn't kept their word on giving money to help countries in need, that made me really sad. So I agree with this author when they say that our government needs to keep their word, and if not no one else will.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

faggle